Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Potluck Hummus with Pita and Carrots


My super nice friend and partner-in-Really Really Free Marketeering invited me to a potluck at her place last night. I was late because the pita bread took longer than I thought it would. I had to really mess with the hummus recipe I used (from Veganomicon), perhaps because I used a blender instead of a food processor. Also, I had no lemon! (Whoops.) I'm not going to post the recipe for the pita bread, because I used this one (using sugar not honey, duh), which worked really well except that I don't have a rolling pin or a bread tablet thing, so my pitas didn't rise.

makes approx. 6 servings

INGREDIENTS:
30 oz. cooked chick peas (soak overnight, then simmer 90 min.)
5 Tbsp. tahini
1/2 c. olive oil
2 cloves garlic
3/4 c. water
cumin
dried parsley
salt
ground black pepper
paprika

DIRECTIONS:
1. Pour half the chickpeas into blender and attempt to puree. Fail to puree. Regret that you didn't mash beforehand with a wooden spoon.
2. Add tahini, olive oil, and water in batches, blending until the hummus is relatively smooth. Add in the remaining chick peas, a little bit of cumin and parsley, salt and pepper to taste, and maybe something like 2 tsp. paprika.
3. Stir with a spatula and try to blend until satisfactory. Pour into a container, chop some carrots, bake some pita, and eat.

After dinner I had a long food-centric conversation with my new friend Leah, who has some bad news, y'all. The US of A is colonizing the world with corn, and other disasters.

No comments:

Post a Comment