Saturday, February 26, 2011

Not Enough Oatmeal


Wasn't sure what to title this one. It's named after Hosni Mubarak's 2005 order for a constitutional amendment to allow multi-candidate presidential elections. Looks like the Egyptian people weren't appeased. And how you gonna have single-candidate elections? Not that a choice between two candidates is much better than a non-choice of one, especially when the two are both bought out by multinational corporations. In related news, I might attend the Save the American Dream rally downtown today in solidarity with Wisconsin protesters. Of course, if I do I'll bring a sign reading "America's slept long enough... time to wake up!" But I've got other things to do, so not sure if I'll make it.

There is definitely enough oatmeal, on the other hand. I used this fantastic recipe. I like Joshua's method better than the one I use for my porridge. I'm out of almonds and I don't have flax meal, so I made a few alterations.

makes 1 serving (if you've got a big appetite)

INGREDIENTS:
1 c. oatmeal
1 c. mylk
1/2 c. water
1/2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 banana, chopped
1/8 c. jumbo black seedless raisins

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a small pot, bring the oatmeal, mylk, and water to a boil over medium heat. Uncover, lower to a simmer. Stir in maple syrup, cinnamon, and vanilla extract.
2. Remove from heat after approx. 4 min. Mix in banana and raisins.

Laura Riding. 2001. Anarchism Is Not Enough, 17: "If it were possible to reproduce [a poem] in an audience the result would be the destruction of the audience."

The Avalanches, "Since I Left You"

No comments:

Post a Comment