Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Open Letter to My Mother

Dear Mom,

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog. I have taken under careful consideration your complaint regarding my recent use of foul language. I sincerely regret that it pains you, but nevertheless your options will be strictly restricted to the following: 1. suffer, or 2. stop reading. Your belief that "[my] facility with language is more elegant than that" seems to rely on the premise that words like "shit" and "fuck" are functionally redundant. It might be reasonable to think that their strict content could be rendered in more "elegant" phrases, but I think it's patently ridiculous to think that we don't mean what we say when we swear. "Shit" and "fuck" are so prevalent because they are versatile manifestations/mobilizations of particular affects. If you'd like to accuse me of lacking ingenuity I have no reply, but to accuse me of doing something wrong in writing by using words which are a part of my speech and relation to the world...

Love,
Your son

No comments:

Post a Comment