Thursday, June 2, 2011

P. T. Barnum Black Beans, Collards, and Quinoa

  

P. T. Barnum and his circus started their first tour in 1835. May it one day be infamous. I watched a documentary about a circus elephant and her well-meaning owner last night. Review coming soon, and it's not gonna be pretty.

Dinner tonight was just for me and Mom. Dad's in Dallas. I need to change the name of the blog, because my dinners these days are rarely for one. If anyone's got suggestions, please air them! [Update: Hope you like Vegetal Voracity.]

makes 3-4 servings

INGREDIENTS:
3/4 c. quinoa
1 15-oz. can black beans
bundle collard greens, stems chopped and leaves torn
1 c. frozen corn
1/2 c. frozen peas
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
soy sauce
cumin
coriander
dried cilantro
red pepper flakes
black pepper

DIRECTIONS:
1. Simmer quinoa 15 min.
2. Sauté onion in oil in pan over medium-high heat. Toss in collard stems and garlic. Once onion is translucent, add collard leaves. Drizzle with soy sauce.
3. After 6 min. or so, add black beans and seasoning. After another few minutes, add corn and peas. Heat through.


Current reading:
Jacques Derrida, The Animal That Therefore I Am
Franz Kafka, Letters to Friends, Family and Editors

Can't wait to start working on a paper about cats, ticks, elephants, hamsters, personhood, and biopower. Both Derrida's book and Giorgio Agamben's The Open deal heavily with Genesis. I hope I can avoid biblical entanglement, but I won't hold my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment