Thursday, June 30, 2011

Baby Busey Burger


Gary Busey was born 67 years ago yesterday! I wonder if baby Busey's visage was portentous. That is, I wonder if he was an ugly baby.

"Baby's first Salisbury steak!" No, Rookie of the Year, bad Rookie of the Year. Even the best Salisbury steak you ever ate was the corpse of a cow. We're doing bean burgers instead! Without wheat gluten, because I couldn't find it at the supermarket.

The salad you see above was a delicious one whipped up by my girlfriend. Lettuce, cucumber, Granny Smith apple, chives, parsley, and some oil from a jar of olives because we ran out of olive oil.

makes 4 patties

INGREDIENTS:
1 15-oz. can red kidney beans
1/2 c. white rice
plain bread crumbs
1/2 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
fresh parsley
fresh oregano
salt
garlic salt
ground black pepper
hot sauce
1 spoonful ground flax seed
2 spoonfuls water

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cook the rice.
2. Stir the flax seed into the water in a small bowl. Ramekin!
3. Sauté the onion with some oil in a small pan over medium-high heat. After a few minutes, add the garlic. Preheat the oven to 425F.
4. Scrape the contents of the pan into a large bowl. Drain the beans and put them in the bowl, too, as well as the flax junk and everything else. Add a few shakes of bread crumbs at a time, for use as a binder or thickener or something. Mash everything up really well, until it holds together.
5. Form four patties. Pop them in the oven for 5 minutes, then transfer to a pan and fry for approx. 6-8 minutes each side over medium heat.

Tiny Mix Tapes continues to publish my comic. This one's called "To send." I find it literally relevant because I just received a letter from my Australian vegan pen pal and need to write a reply soon. (Spoiler alert: the next strip is "To receive." It's the last one in the bunch, but if I can get my fingers on a scanner you might get to see a new one, "Desire orders.")

No comments:

Post a Comment