Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tropical Almond Smoothie


I had leftover soup for dinner tonight because for lunch I made grilled pb&j sandwiches with some stale bread I've got hanging around. But I also have frozen fruit in the freezer, so I figured I'd make a smoothie for dessert/snack.

This is essentially almond milk plus frozen fruit, but I decided to blend the mylk immediately prior to adding the fruit. I.e., I didn't filter the almond pieces out. I thought that would make it thicker, which it did, but it also made it grainy. If you've got time to make proper almond milk beforehand that's probably a better method.

makes approx. 2 servings

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 c. almonds
2 1/4 c. water
10 oz. frozen fruit (tropical blend)
2 Tbsp. maple syrup

DIRECTIONS:
1. Soak almonds in 1/2 c. water for somewhere in the area of 8 hours (or overnight). Liquefy with additional 1 1/2 c. water in blender. Optionally, strain and pour back into blender.
2. Add frozen fruit and maple syrup. Grind or liquefy in blender until smooth.

In unrelated news, Tiny Mix Tapes published my review of the film Petition today.

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a really good snack! Can you taste the maple syrup in it, or is it just to add some sweetness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Leigh! There's no maple taste, just makes it a big sweeter. Mm, maybe I should have made a maple smoothie.

    ReplyDelete