Sunday, January 9, 2011

Leftover Vegetables and Stale Bread Curry



This one came together nicely with stuff I had lying around from previous meals. I had a beer while I was cooking, and somehow I usually get less hungry as I prepare food, so I have TONS of leftovers. Like enough for the whole block.

Also, I wasn't striving for seasoning accuracy and it turned out for the best. Heaping teaspoons all around! Turned out the carrot was less well-cooked than the potato and the parsnip, which totally surprised me. Maybe they teach you that sort of thing in culinary school?

makes approx. 5-6 servings

INGREDIENTS:
1 c. rice
1/3 loaf French bread, stale
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 large Bamberg potato, cubed
1/2 large parsnip, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
stems and leaves from a bundle of beets, chopped
3 c. vegetable broth
1/2 c. nondairy milk
1 c. water
splash of beer
2 heaping tsp. curry powder
1 h. tsp. garam masala
1/2 h. tsp. chile powder
1/2 h. tsp. dried parsley
1/2 h. tsp. salt

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cook rice. (1 c. rice, 2 c. water; bring to a boil, then simmer for 45 min.)
2. I did this step the night before by accident while baking some vegetables. Break the third-loaf of bread in half lengthwise, then baste with olive oil. Stick in the oven at 400 for half an hour or so. Break into small pieces with your hands or use a food processor if you've got one.
3. Coat the bottom of a large pot with canola oil. Dice and add onion. Do a whole lot of chopping, then mince the garlic shortly before the onion is ready.
4. Add potato, parsnip, and carrot. Stir, let cook for a while. Add the beet stems but save the leaves.
5. Once things are sizzling nicely, add the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Add the nondairy milk, water, beer, breadcrumbs, and seasoning. Cover and let cook until the rice is done.

I don't know if I just got lucky, but the curry was at a good place when the rice finished cooking. The carrot could have benefited from a few more minutes in the heat, but I don't mind a little crunch.

UPDATE: I took some of the leftovers to work with me for lunch, and there's still tons of it left.




No comments:

Post a Comment