Sunday, January 9, 2011

Fried Tofu and Potatoes



I made this dinner last Wednesday. It's tofu and potatoes fried with onion, grape tomatoes, a poblano pepper, and an avocado. I got to try out a citrus zester my parents gave me for Christmas. Worked like a charm.

Curious fact: While doing some research on Wikipedia to attempt to determine what sort of potato I'd bought from the farmers market (I think they were Bamberg!), I learned that potatoes produce toxic compounds called glycoalkaloids, which can kill you! Guess that doesn't happen too often.
makes 3-4 servings

INGREDIENTS:
1 lb. firm tofu, cubed
4-5 small (Bamberg) potatoes, cubed
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 handfuls grape tomatoes, halved
1 poblano pepper, diced
1 avocado, chopped
(the seasoning is pretty much stolen from Isa, without whose recipes I would be helpless)
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. lime zest
1/4 c. yeast flakes

DIRECTIONS:
1. Boil potatoes until tender, but not to the point of mushiness.
1. Peel and dice the onion. Coat the bottom of a metal pan in canola oil and place over medium-high heat. Add onion.
2. Do as much chopping and dicing as possible until the onion is translucent. Add tofu. If the potatoes are ready, drain them, chop, and add to the pan.
3. Let the tofu fry until the bottoms get crispy. Work them with the spatula, then add the poblano. Fry for something like 5 minutes.
4. Add the spices and herb with enough water to just coat the bottom of the pan. Fry for another several minutes, occasionally scraping with the spatula to make sure nothing gets fused to the pan. Add more oil if needed.
5. Add the tomatoes and avocado. After a minute, add the nutritional yeast and shuffle well. Cook for a few minutes.

(Recommended:) Serve with hot sauce.

One of my favorite vegan/food blogs, Vegansaurus, posted the above picture. Sounds like Meave was uncomfortable with as well as amused by my message. I was only offering my hospitality, honest!

No comments:

Post a Comment