Thursday, March 24, 2011

Exxon Valdez Stir Fry


I'd been in the world less than a year when the Exxon Valdez ran aground in Prince William Sound and spilled 240,000 barrels of petroleum. Boy am I sure glad nothing like that's happened since! I'd post another link to the article I wrote about the justice of eco-terrorism, but maybe it's enough just to mention that I wrote about the justice of eco-terrorism.

Vegansaurus tells me that some women are using fur as hair extensions. That's the kind of choice that'll inspire me to vomit on someone.

This meal did the opposite of make me want to vomit. It's a bit weird because I had to use all the fresh food I had lying around before I leave town for the week. Virginia is for lovers. Or for hanging out with one's parents.

makes approx. 3-4 servings

INGREDIENTS:
1 c. long grain brown rice
1 yellow onion, diced
1 lb. tofu, cubed
1 crown broccoli, chopped
1 c. baby arugula, tightly packed
1/2 clove garlic, minced
1/2 hot house tomato, sliced
1 avocado, chopped
1/4 c. nutritional yeast

sesame oil
shoyu soy sauce
cayenne
ground Tellicherry pepper
red pepper flakes
curry powder

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cook the rice.
2. Sauté onion in a large pan with oil. Add tofu. Once the bottoms start to brown, toss in broccoli.
3. Once you've minced the garlic, throw that in and douse it all with soy sauce and pack the arugula in on top. Let it get cooking for a while.
4. After the broccoli has acquired a bright sheen, add in the tomato, avocado, seasonings, and yeast flakes. Pour in more soy sauce if needed. Mix it all up and cook until the nutritional yeast starts to stick to the bottom of the pan. Cut the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment