Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Gavin Bryars' Birthday Pseudo-Borscht


I like Gavin Bryars' music. He was born on January 16, 1943. He studied philosophy at Sheffield before studying music. He began playing jazz but gave it up after seeing a young bassist play in an "artificial" way. He studied composition with John Cage. One of his first pieces, and the one I'm most familiar with, is called The Sinking of the Titanic. You can read about it here.

My friend W. made borscht awhile ago, which inspired me to make borscht. I do not know how to make borscht correctly, nor did I look up a recipe beforehand. What I made was more a stew than a soup. I don't have a grater, so I couldn't shred the beets. I wish I could have shredded the beats. Nevertheless, I present this recipe for a palatable pseudo-borscht.

serves: approx. 4
prep. time: approx. 30 min.

INGREDIENTS
1 beet, sliced thin (or shredded, if you have a grater)
1 red onion, sliced
1/2 head red cabbage, sliced
water
2 bay leaves
salt
garlic powder

DIRECTIONS
1. Throw everything in a pot and boil until the beets are nice and tender. Add water if you want it soupier.

Won't be posting tomorrow in (meager) solidarity with the internet blackout. STOP PIPA/SOPA!

No comments:

Post a Comment