André the Giant (André René Roussimoff) died in his sleep January 27, 1993 (age: 46). His acromegaly caused congestive heart failure while André was in Paris for his father's funeral. Facts that will not make this story less sad: 1. André once consumed 19.5 gallons of beer in one sitting; 2. in the last years of his life, André was constantly in horrible pain; 3. André never fulfilled his wish of seeing a Broadway show because he didn't want to block other people's view; 4. too big to ride the school bus as a young teen, André was driven to school by his father's friend Samuel Beckett.
I made this stew the night before coming home to Virginia for a couple of weeks to look after our old dog while my parents are out of town. Have to wrap this up, because S. is giving me clear signals that it's past time for me to carry her up the stairs.
prep. time: approx. 30 minutes
1 yellow onion, sliced
1/4 red cabbage, sliced
1 butternut squash, cubed
3/4 c. bulgar wheat
1. Saute the onion with oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat.
2. Toss in everything except the bulgar wheat and water. Saute for a few minutes.
3. Pour in enough water to get the squash floating. Cover and bring to a boil.
4. Add bulgar wheat. Reduce heat; cook for 20 mins.
5. Let stand and cool. The bulgar will soak up a lot of the water.