Friday, July 15, 2011

Harry Dean Stanton's Natal Day Pasta


Harry Dean Stanton is 85 today! He's been in a million and a half films. I've seen only several of them, most recently Paris, Texas. Sort of ambivalent about it, but Ry Cooder's soundtrack is incredible. My girlfriend and I are listening to it right now.

Tonight's meal was prepared almost entirely by my girlfriend. She's better at pastas than I am. I boiled the pasta and cut the broccoli and patted myself on the back and danced to some old songs (rap and punk) I hadn't listened to in months or years.

makes approx. 3-4 servings

INGREDIENTS:
2/3 lb. penne pasta
2 crowns broccoli, florets
3 portabello mushrooms, sliced
1/3 package Yves vegan pepperoni, diced
1 handful sun-dried black olives, quartered
1 handful grape tomatoes, halved
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
handful Daiya mozzarella
dried basil
dried thyme [Update: My girlfriend would like to stress that absolutely no thyme was used in this recipe and thyme is not a proper Italian herb and she does not cook with thyme but with oregano.]
ground sea salt
ground black pepper
olive oil
Earth Balance spread
hot chili oil

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cook the pasta.
2. Sauté the broccoli in oil and Earth Balance over medium heat. After a few minutes, add the mushrooms. Then comes the pepperoni.
3. When the pasta's done, drain it. Pour more olive oil and Earth Balance in the pot and sauté the garlic, olives, and grape tomatoes. Season with oregano and basil (and red pepper flakes, if you've got them). Toss the penne back in and mix together.
4. Season with salt and pepper. Add the contents of the pan to the pot and cook over low heat for a while. Drizzle hot chili oil over everything, followed by some Daiya.

Again, this recipe has been brought to you by my girlfriend. The following photo of Harry Dean Stanton and companions is brought to you by Gawker.

No comments:

Post a Comment