Saturday, February 4, 2012

Vegan Health Rice and Beans


No, these rice and beans aren't consummately healthful, I just wanted to take this space to promote Ginny Messina's blog, The Vegan R.D., which she's been writing since November 2007. I really should go and get blood work done to see how I'm doing on vitamins. I'm probably deficient at least in B12 and D. Vegan Essentials is a good place to buy supplements!

serves: 2
prep. time: 100 min.

INGREDIENTS
1 c. soup mix beans
3/4 c. short grain brown rice
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 poblano pepper, diced
some scallions, chopped or cut with kitchen scissors
1 avocado
juice of 1/4 lime
cumin
chipotle powder
dried cilantro

DIRECTIONS
1. Bring 4 c. water to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Add beans and simmer until tender, usually about an hour and a half.
2. Simmer the rice for 50 minutes.
3. In a pan, saute the peppers and scallions with seasoning in oil over medium-high heat for several minutes.
4. Mash the avocado with lime juice and salt.

I have a poem in the latest issue of The Capilano Review! It's the first time I'll see my byline in print. (Thanks to A. for encouragement!)

No comments:

Post a Comment