Friday, October 21, 2011

"From hell" / Global Protest Reddish Stuff Over Rice


[UPDATE 10/22/11: I totally screwed up! The photo below, which I removed from the top of this page, is actually of a meal I cooked when A. was still in town. A brilliant innovation, too: pumpkin coconut curry. Standard curry recipe, but along with a can of coconut milk you throw in most of a can of pureed pumpkin. Thickens it up beautifully and isn't overpowering. Below is a picture of the meal described below.]

 

I cooked this meal on October 15, the day a bunch of protests occurred worldwide, in part inspired by the Occupy movement in NYC. It feels bogus to write anything about Occupy that isn't thorough and critical, so I'll just say: in solidarity, until the end of exploitation and forever. October 15 also happens to be the day when a letter purportedly written by Jack the Ripper was postmarked in 1888. The body of the letter (mangled, as you'll see) reads, "I send you half the Kidne I took from one women prasarved it for you tother piece I fried and ate it was very nise. I may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer." There's a crude analogy somewhere in there between the two events.

Pat the cat enjoyed a taste of some sweet potato. Maybe because of the Bragg's liquid aminos in the sauce? Don't know if that treat was causally related to the big pile of vomit I cleaned up this morning.

servings: 3-4
prep. time: 50 min.

INGREDIENTS:
1 c. long grain brown rice
1/2 c. red lentils
1/2 c. yellow split peas
1 sweet potato, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1/2 c.almond milk
1/3 c. olive oil
several squirts of Bragg's liquid aminos
several squirts of tamari soy sauce
garlic powder
cumin
Sriracha

DIRECTIONS:
1. Simmer rice for 45 min.
2. In a pot, simmer lentils, split peas, sweet potato, and carrot for 30 min.
3. In a saucepan, whisk everything else together. Bring a boil, then reduce heat and stir.
4. Pour the sauce into the pot and toss. Serve over rice.

I reviewed a bad film called Fireflies in the Garden. Some of the word aren't mine. Read it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment